In this field, our firm provides services on all the legal aspects of employment relations as well as on the practice and definition of policies for Human Resources matters. This practice area regularly demands assistance in labor disputes held at different Courts across the country, and also at the Ministry of Labor and Social Security.
We complement this practice area with services offered in relation to social security issues.
Having labor Law professors within our team has proven to be very important to keep abreast of an area of practice which is very dynamic due to the frequency and speed of amendments of legislation and of judicial paradigms.
Transactional wise, this is not an area that makes the headlines in Uruguay. The gist of our firm’s practice mainly involves assisting employers in all aspects of labor relations, policies and practices (including litigation), and representing them in their collective bargaining and outsourcing matters.
By virtue of representing international and national large companies, we have come to work almost along all lines of labor matters affecting businesses.
Topics commonly addressed by the Labor department include:
- Negotiating and drafting of employment contracts
- Negotiations of collective agreements with unions
- Participating in labor disputes, in and out of court
- Defining and implementing strategies for outsourcing
- Assessment and calculations of salary liquidations, social security contributions and other salary-related benefits
- Preparing structures for compensations (stock options)
- Reorganizations and restructuring
Examples of our labor experience include:
- Provided training programs to employees and the Human Resources Department of Marfrig Group (Brazil meat processing group) and of Arcos Dorados Uruguay S.A. (franchisee of Mc Donald´s), about health and safety under the law.
- Advised TAYM Uruguay S.A. in the contract renewal with National Port Administration (ANP) in the City of Colonia, and also with Port union (SUPRA), including restructuring processes.
- Acted in collective bargaining under Salary Councils in representation of Marfrig Group.
- Advised a ceramic industry leader on a strike with the construction union (SUNCA) following the dismissal of several employees.
- Advised Marfrig in internal investigations regarding labor harassment.
- Represented Banco Santander in the negotiation of a collective bargaining agreement with the union of the banking sector (AEBU) and carried negotiations until execution of such agreement.
- Represented Candysur S.A. (ground handling company at the International Airport of Montevideo) in the negotiations before the Salary Councils. These negotiations were particularly challenging because all the airline and airport related activities had been severely struck by the bankruptcy of the national airline PLUNA. In this negotiation, our firm managed to negotiate and sign with the union a collective agreement that provided for salary adjustments below the general salary agreements generally set for the industry at the Salary Councils.