Héctor B. Viana
(T) +598 2916 1460 ext. 127
(F) +598 2916 3931
He is a law graduate from the University of the Republic, School of Law and Social Science. In 1988 he obtained an LLM degree from the New York University.
From 1989 to 1991 Hector worked as a corporate associate at the law firm Breed, Abbott & Morgan in New York, New York.
He has extensive experience in providing advice to local and multinational companies on subjects of his specific professional practice areas. He had a key role in the issuance of public securities by Creditel and New Zealand Farming Systems, as well as in the acquisition of Frigorífico Tacuarembó by the Marfrig Group. In the real estate area, he assists the Trump Group on its first foray into the Uruguayan market in Punta del Este.
Hector has made various presentation on matters of his expertise, including:
- “Ley 16.060 (de Sociedades Comerciales), 20 años de experiencia” (Law 16,060, Corporate Law, 20 years of experience) – Catholic University, Montevideo, 2009
- “Nuevas Opciones de Inversión en Uruguay” (New Alternatives for Investing in Uruguay) – Agromedios, Montevideo, 2003
- “Fideicomisos en Uruguay” (Trusts in Uruguay) – Endeavor Uruguay Events, Montevideo, 2003
- “Mercosur y Uruguay. Actualización” (Mercosur and Uruguay: An update) – International Law and Practice Section, New York State Bar Association, Miami, 1998
- “Fusiones y Adquisiciones en el Mercosur” (Mergers and Acquisitions in Mercosur) International Law and Practice Section, New York State Bar Association, Buenos Aires, 1994
- New York University – LLM, 1988
- University of the Republic, Uruguay – Attorney at Law, 1987
- Uruguay-United States Chamber of Commerce
- Capital Markets
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate Law
- 2014 – Advice regarding acquisition of dairy business by Olam Group for the construction of the second largest milk processing plant in Uruguay
- 2014 – Hired by the Corporación Nacional para el Desarrollo (the governmental agency in charge of structuring PPPs and other infrastructure projects) to assist in the structuring of two infrastructure projects (Energy related and Real Estate related) using financial trusts as vehicles
- 2014 – Assisted Olam Group – Uruguay in the first sale & lease back of rural land in Uruguay, to further expand and develop its milking business
- 2014 – Assisted Mar de Hierbas S.A. (Argentine developer) – La Baguala – in a real estate development in the outskirts of Montevideo including the refurbishing of a boutique hotel and the plotting of approx. 100 residential small farms
- 2013 – Assisted the consortium formed by Samsung/Kogas, Itochu and NYK, in a competitive bidding for the construction and operation of a floating storage LNG regasification terminal in the Port of Montevideo.
- “Las causales de anulación en arbitraje internacional no son las de la ley local (Tribunal de Apelaciones en lo Civil de Séptimo Turno)” (Causes for annulment of international arbitration differ from those under local laws – Civil Court of Appeals of the 7th Term – Revista Internacional de Arbitraje, Colombia, 2007 (Colombia’s International Arbitration Magazine)
- “Mergers and Acquisitions in Uruguay”, International Law Practicum, International Law & Practice Section, New York State Bar Association, 1995
- “Country Handbook on Uruguay”, International Contract Manual, Kluwer Law and Taxation Publishers, 1991
- Encyclopedia of International Commercial Litigations, Kluwer Law, Uruguay Section – 1993/2015