Fernando Jiménez de Aréchaga (Jr.)
(T) +598 2916 1460 ext. 108
(F) +598 2916 3931
Fernando Jiménez de Aréchaga, Jr., is a Partner at the firm, he specialize in Project Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Capital Markets.
He is a law graduate from the Catholic University, Uruguay, and also obtained a Master’s degree in Business Law from the University of Montevideo in 2007 and a LLM from Harvard University in 2009. In 2010, he was admitted to the Bar of New York. He is a member of both the New York Bar Association and the Uruguayan Bar Association.
He has extensive experience assisting local and multinational corporations in highly complex commercial and financial operations.
In 2009-2010, Fernando Jiménez de Aréchaga, worked as a consultant for the Department of International Law at the Organization of American States on different topics such as the reestablishment of diplomatic relations between Ecuador and Colombia, the development and approval of an Inter American Model Law on Access to Information, the discussion of an Inter American Consumer Rights Convention and the implementation of an Inter American Registry of Secured Transactions.
In 2010, he resumed his activities at the firm. Among his most recent experience which is worthy of mention is advice given to a syndicate of banks made up of Santander España, Santander Uruguay, BROU (Banco de la República Oriental del Uruguay) and EKF on a Project Finance transaction for the construction, start-up, and operation of an 88 MW wind farm, and to KfW IPEX and EKF on a Project Finance transactions for the construction, start-up, and operation of a 44 MW wind farm. In 2014, he advised DEG on a Project Finance transaction for the construction, commissioning and operation of a port terminal for the storage and loading of grain, wood chips and bulk solid cargoes in the bay of Montevideo, and DEG and PROPARCO in another Project Finance transaction for the acquisition of forested land in the department of Rivera. In the year 2015, he advised KfW IPEX and EKF in Project Finance transaction for wind farm (49.5 MW); also advised Santander in the first issuance of bonds for the first PPP in Uruguay’s history; PGG Wrightson in purchase of 50% share of AgroCentro Uruguay as well as, Santander and BBVA in project financing of two solar energy photovoltaic stations with an increased power of 74 MW.
- Harvard University – LLM, 2009
- University of Montevideo – Master in Business Law, 2007
- Catholic University, Uruguay – Attorney at Law, 2004
- Uruguay & New York, United States
- Project Finance
- Banking Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Capital Markets
- 2015 – Advisor for Santander, Intesa SanPaolo and BBVA in Project Finance of two 74W solar energy photovoltaic power stations
- 2015 – Advisor for PGG Wrightson in purchase of 50% share of AgroCentro Uruguay
- 2015 – Advisor for KfW IPEX and EKF in Project Finance transaction for wind farm (49.5 MW)
- 2015 – Advisor for Santander in the first issuance of bonds for the first PPP in Uruguay’s history
- 2014 – Advisor for DEG and PROPARCO in Project Finance transaction for acquisition of forested land
- 2014 – Advisor for DEG in Project Finance transaction for port terminal at the Port of Montevideo
- 2013 – Advisor for KfW IPEX and EKF in Project Finance transaction for wind farm (44 MW)
- 2013 – Advisor for Santander and EKF in Project Finance transaction for wind farm (88 MW)
- “IV Conference of Central Bank Law” – Panelist on Infrastructure Project Finance by means of securities and special emphasis on the PPP (public/private participation entities), 2015
- “Project Finance in Uruguay” – Latinlawyer, 2012-2013-2014
- “Mergers & Acquisitions in Uruguay” – Mergers Review, 2012-2013
- “The Birth of Project Finance in Uruguay” – International Financial Law, 2012 Review
- “El Régimen de Control de Concentraciones en la ley 18.159”, (Control of Concentrations Regime under Law 18.159), Journal of Law and Tribunals, 2008