Fernando Jiménez de Aréchaga
(T) +598 2916 1460 ext. 123
(F) +598 2916 3931
Fernando Jiménez de Aréchaga is Senior Partner and Managing Partner of the firm. He specializes in Banking Law, Capital Markets, Mergers and Acquisitions, and International Arbitration.
He is an Attorney at Law. He graduated from Buenos Aires University – UBA (Argentina) in 1978, and from the University of the Republic, (Uruguay) in 1979, from where he obtained a degree in Law and Social Science. He also earned a Master’s degree in Corporate Law from the Montevideo Entrepreneurial Studies Institute in 1990. From 1980 to 1990, he was Professor of Public International Law at the School of Law and Social Science of the University of the Republic, Uruguay. At present, he is part of the list of appointed arbitrators at the Settlement and Arbitration Center of the Chamber of Commerce. In addition to his professional practice in the field of Law, he is non-executive President of the Board of the Santander Bank in Uruguay since March 2016.
He has vast experience as consultant for local and multi-national companies regarding highly complex commercial and financial operations.
He lectured at the 1st. Symposium on Building the Financial System of the 21st Century: an agenda for Latin America and the United States held at the Harvard Law School in 2008. In 2010 President and member of several arbitration panels, including acting as President in an ICC arbitration. Delivers frequent speeches at the National Chamber of Commerce and Services regarding financial and tax regulations.
- Montevideo Institute of Business Studies – Master in Corporate Law, 1990
- University of the Republic, Uruguay – Attorney at Law, 1979
- University of Buenos Aires, Argentina – Attorney at Law, 1978
- Appointed by the World Council of the International Chamber of Commerce as Member representative of Uruguay to serve at the International Court of Arbitration (ICC), Paris from July 1st 2015 until June 30th, 2018
- Uruguayan Bar Association
- Panel of Arbitrators of the Uruguayan Chamber of Commerce
- Non-executive President of the Board, Santander Bank, Uruguay (since March 2016)
- Banking Law
- Capital Markets
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- International Arbitration
Leads professional teams of the firm – some of the representative matters include:
- 2014 – 2015 – Appointed as President of an Arbitral Tribunal by the Center for Conciliation and Settlement of Disputes of the Uruguayan Chamber of Commerce in a millionaire real estate dispute.
- 2013-2014 – Advisor of Barraca Deambrosi before the authorities of the Committee of Promotion and Competition Defense
- 2011-2012 – President of the Arbitration Court at the International Chamber of Commerce
- 2010 – Livestock Three Million
- 2010 – Acquisition of Cadbury by Kraft (Mondelez)
- 2009 – Issuance of UTE’s negotiable obligations
- 2008 – Acquisition of ABN AMRO Bank by the Santander Bank
Chambers Commentary (Global)
- Banking & Finance – Practice head Fernando Jiménez de Aréchaga is widely respected and recognised for his experience in the banking sector. Sources say: “He is very proactive, adapts well to changing situations and is good in negotiation.”
- Corporate/M&A – Fernando Jiménez de Aréchaga remains a popular choice for clients in the corporate sphere. Interviewees say: “He facilitates business, he is focused on the big picture and has real vision.”
The following are some transcriptions from Chambers Latin America:
- Banking & Finance – Chambers Latin America has ranked Fernando Jiménez de Aréchaga as notable practitioners in the banking & finance area of practice.
- Corporate / M&A – Fernando Jiménez de Aréchaga is considered “a point of reference in the financial market by many”.
… “He is focused on the big picture and has real vision”.